25/08/2010

Eating in Toon - logged

Anytime I try to think of my fav places to eat something delish in Newcastle, I seem to get a mind blank, so before I leave, I thought I'd track down my ideal spots that are totalz hot stuff to dine in - to stop myself forgetting if I ever return.


Alphabetically:

Al basha (the big market): Unreal. Melted halloumi between super thin flatbread. Musaka / Vine leaves / Foul - truly great stuff - mushy bean dish that tastes kinda cheesy. They're pretty generous with their flatbreads and the hummus is perfectly smooth, salty and creamy

The butterfly cabinet (Heaton road): The lunchtime menu here rocks. ESP the mussels, a huge bowl with the most succulent sauce that leaves you wanting to drink the remains straight outa the dish - ps pretty vast portions totally sharable

The Golden Phoenix (7 Marlborough Cr): I have a dark addiction to Chinese food - thinking of salted chilli chicken keeps me up at night - the golden phoenix is the bee’s knees when it comes to Mandarin cuisine - with a pretty hip clientele

Kahns (178 Heaton road): I haven’t been here for so long, but I am making a special pit stop before I leave - my memory is all hazy from eating too much - but it went like this - mmmmmmmmmmmmm - I will have to touch up this entry after Monday

Olive and Bean (Near monumnet, Clayton St.): Lunchtimes in the centre of Newcastle were saved when this place came to town. Totally delish deli and sandwich bar - chorizo and manachego or grilled halloumi are killer - but i've heard good things about the stilton and pear - choices choices

Cafe Paradiso (1 Market lane, behind Popolos): How could I forget this total gem (headz up from Adam). Sitting in a booth surrounded by stylish leather the floury toasted lamb wrap with thick cut chips is pleasure galore with extra drippage

The side cafe (1-3 Side, Quayside): Kindy pricey at moments i.e. the wine - but each dish is so complete, for dinz, the French black pudding should be attempted, although visually looks a little too dark and long - slightly awkward moment when it's staring right back at you, and you know you gotta eat that thing - but tasting it changes everything, so rich and so soft like the best gravy condensed into solid form. For breakfast the hollandaise sauce of the eggs benedict leaves you cleaning the plate with your finger, a slightly ashamed attempt to get the last remnants of your hollandaise fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment